Powered By Blogger

About Me

Retired chief investment officer and former NYSE firm partner with 50 plus years experience in field as analyst / economist, portfolio manager / trader, and CIO who has superb track record with multi $billion equities and fixed income portfolios. Advanced degrees, CFA. Having done much professional writing as a young guy, I now have a cryptic style. 40 years down on and around The Street confirms: CAVEAT EMPTOR IN SPADES !!!

Monday, April 16, 2007

Stock Market -- Technical

The stock market is overbought on all measures for
the ten day short term. It is also on the verge of making
my intermediate term view the wrong view. I have argued in
recent weeks that 6-13 week breadth and momentum indicators
portrayed a developing topping process. But, at this juncture
I would have to say that unless there is a sharp sell-off
starting at some point over the next week or two, the idea
of a topping process may have to be shelved.

The last technically strong entry point I had was in June/July
2006. The rally that began then was a terrific one to trade or
ride. The rally that kicked off in the first half of March, 2007
did not have the deep oversold pedigree I prefer and I have passed
on it. The tough thing for me is that viewed short term, this is
a respectable run-up, nonetheless.

So, from a technical perspective, I am on the beach for the next
two weeks, left to hope we get a sharp correction to a stiff
overbought. Now the existentialists out there will chuckle at
this, remembering as they will that Albert Camus was fond of
saying that "to hope is to despair"....

No comments: